Last week I left my house to go to Bible study and as I stopped at a stop sign in my neighborhood a man on crutches painstakingly made his way across the street in front of me and continued on down the road. And so began the internal monologue, "Oh my gosh that guy is attempting to walk all the way down that road on crutches?! That stinks. Maybe I should give him a ride. No wait, a strange man getting into my car is not a good idea. I wonder how far he has to go because that road is really long. I should just drive on. No, wait I should really help him. But what if he tries to hurt me? Or rob me? Oh fine ok I'll help him."
Yes, my brain is confusing sometimes. I moved my stuff off the passenger seat, tucked my purse down along the driver's side door, and decided that I'd smack him with a crutch if he gave me any trouble. I pulled up beside him and rolled down the window.
"Excuse me, I don't normally pick up strange men off the side of the road but would you like a ride?"
The man hesitated for a moment and looked shocked.
"Yes actually I would. I'm trying to get to an appointment over by the hospital."
"Hop in, I can take you there. It's on my way." (By the way the hospital is over a mile away from where we were).
So with some trepidation on both our parts the man got into my car. He began thanking me almost immediately and then asked how my baby was doing. Long awkward pause. "Excuse me, what?" Your baby ma'am, how is the baby doing? Slowly I began to realize that perhaps he thought I was someone else. "Um, sir, you don't know me." Oh! Aren't you the woman who lives in the white house a few down from mine? "No, but I do live just up that street, we haven't met before but I thought you could use a ride this morning". The expression on his face was PRICELESS as it dawned on him that he was now in the car with a woman whom he had never met before. If I was at all worried about letting a stranger into my car I need not have been because it seems that the man who got into my car was just as freaked out to realize that he had mistakenly gotten into the car of a stranger! And that is the story of how I met Pedro Sanchez.
1 comment:
This is why we're friends. I love you to pieces!
Post a Comment