Friday, July 23, 2010

Just a few reasons why my parents are awesome

My parents came to visit and ended up helping me with a ton of projects. My dad put new rotors on my car, repaired the bumper which he may or may not have made a tiny rip in while parking in the scariest parking garage in new orleans, and repaired the seat lever so that I can finally fold the seat down and haul around my yard sale finds and craft show stuff. Mom helped me make a tablecloth for craft shows out of sheets from Target and add a few inches to the hem of my bridesmaid dress which was too short.

They also helped me build an amazing apron display for craft shows! We found a twin headboard at the thrift store. It was for sale with the bedrails as well but I talked to the guy working there and he sold it to me for only $20 and with no rails instead of the $35 they were asking for! We also had to buy some brackets and other hardware. Here's the loot:


At first I thought I could get away with less expensive brackets for the back but we ended up having to return them. The holes in the two sets of brackets didn't match up.


I decided that if the knobs were along the top of the bedframe then it would need to be three feet tall. So we measured three feet from the top of the frame so that dad could saw off the extra wood of the legs.


Mr. T helped supervise the project from his favorite cat bed: the cardboard box from an ikea product.


Then my dad measured out four 12 inch sections from the 1 X 1 wood.


Then he and my mom sawed the 12 inch sections from the wood.


And then he sawed the bottoms of the bedframe off.


See? Now it's a little bit shorter.


Then he attached a bracket to each section of wood using my favorite power tool: the cordless screwdriver.


He drilled holes in the legs of the bedframe and then we attached the brackets using wing nuts and a screw. That way I can take the legs of the frame off when I transport it. It's less bulky and it also weighs less.


Next they drilled holes along the top of the frame.


And finally we screwed a bunch of dresser knobs along the top of the frame. I found all of these on bike rides around the neighborhood. Yes I'm the weirdo that carries a screwdriver with me so that I can gather them from furniture left out for the trash.


Here's the new display in action at a craft show. I can put eleven aprons on the frame and lay the rest on the table in front of it. It works out really well!

My parents also brought down a doll cradle I had when I was little. I'm using it to display my baby quilts at craft shows. I added the sign that I usually hang up on the clothesline for outdoor shows and a little tin full of business cards.

The craft show was a total flop. I paid $20 for a table and sold NOTHING! It was boring but at least I handed out a few business cards. I can't wait until my new ones come in the mail this week!

1 comment:

Frances Joy said...

Okay, I'm totally amazed and impressed. And I love that you have a favorite power tool. The display looks AMAZING!