Thursday, April 30, 2009

crafts on the brain.

I'm writing thank you notes today. Etiquette dictates that I have them done months ago but etiquette doesn't live here apparently. I was looking at the stack of them waiting to be written on yesterday and decided that I may as well just jump in. While I am writing them I keep getting this strange feeling that I've already written some of them. I honestly can't remember. I was so tired of dealing with wedding stuff that I just pushed them aside for as long as possible. Now I think this was rude of me and I hope that people still know that we are grateful for their gifts. I hope that I don't send anyone two cards!

In other news I am going to start an Etsy store. I don't know quite when yet, but I am deciding that there are just too many great ideas bouncing around in my head. I may as well share them with people and maybe at least earn back the cost of materials. I got three fabulous craft books from my mom and dad for my birthday. Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. Material Obsessions: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots by Sarah Fielke and Kathy Doughty. And Sublime Stitching by Jenny Hart. Jared renewed our Books-A-Million membership so I got all three books there and saved some money. The great thing about Amy Karol's patterns is that she is cool with you selling things from her patterns as long as you make sure to credit her for the pattern. You can also apply to get a free license from Sublime Stitching as well. I love when people allow you to do this! I am not talented enough to make up my own patterns. Previous attempts have not been so pretty or appropriate. Like the time I made Clara an apron that would have fit better on her not quite two year old daughter than on her. Oops. And so I love it when I am able to use a pattern but still sell things. Now to get my hands to work on some of my ideas! I just picked up two of the books yesterday and I was lying in bed last night trying to sleep and I told Jared that I thought my brain might explode from all of the crafty ideas running around in it.

I picked up some yellow yarn yesterday and started knitting a monster that has been on my to-do list for a bit. I may go work on him some more right now while I continue a break from my thank you notes. I can't leave the house because I'm waiting for the air conditioner repair guy to come and figure out what is wrong with our air conditioner. It konked out. We've actually been living for a month and a half without it but it is now starting to get so hot that we may need to turn it on once in a while.

Any ideas on what I should name my Etsy store? I've pretty much decided that I will sell anything and everything I feel like making at the moment. I'm not going to stick with just one sort of item or craft.

No comments: