Monday, July 16, 2007

musical composition.

The kids I babysit are a never ending source of amusement. They got a little zoo-ey today so I took them on a forced march to check the mail at the church. The older two asked if they could play the piano so we hung out for a while. The 11 year old "composed" his own piece of music and then invited us to attend his concert. It was a two part movement entitled (I think.....sadly i can't quite remember) something along the lines of "Forced Uncertainty". It was actually quite an impressive song and it included dramatic pauses and rearranging of hands and such during the performance. He also introduced the piece and described it, had an intermission, and then bowed at the end. Man I love those kids.

The 7 year old played a piece entitled "Sealife" which lead to a bitter argument over which child had originally composed the piece and whether or not either had the right to claim copy right infringement. The 11 year old swears he can remember the exact day last year when he sat in the church and composed it. Eventually they agreed that the 7 year old could play it if he was able to play it "remixed". After he played the song the 11 year old told him "i'm really impressed with what you did the to the song. it WAS different. instead of having the dolphins jumping and leaping you had them ramming something with their noses. i also really liked what you did with the fish, they were a lot quieter than usual". Gah. I sooo wish I had my camera with me, i would have taken a video!

I almost completely forgot to tell you about the rest of our afternoon. We found some squirt guns at the church, so while the boys weren't looking I filled them with water and found a bucket to carry them plus some extra water in. I took them over to the park and we had a battle. I was assigned the role of Queen Amidala, the baby was a baby ewok, and shoot i can't remember who the other two were. Either way we each had a squirt gun: the two older boys versus the baby and I. We ran all over the playground shouting and shooting water at each other. It was a fullscale battle. I ran up the huge slide while they were firing at me from above and attacked them. Then they ran for it and I jumped off the side of the playground to chase them down. The baby just followed us around laughing and trying to drink the water out of his squirt gun. We must have played for at least 40 minutes before we ran out of water. It was awesome! When their mom came to get them the 7 year old made her guess what we did at the park. She guessed a few things before he told her "no mom, we did something REALLY special. we had a star wars water gun battle on the playground with melissa!".

No comments: