Thursday, May 31, 2007

SuperMel To the Rescue!

Is this better Joshua? I didn't realize you guys were having trouble reading my blog. Comment if you are and tell me what's wrong. I'll try and fix it.

So today I got to rescue my first chicken at the farm. One of the chickens always gets out of the fence and one of the dogs really LIKES chickens. We were all up in the fields working on stuff and we heard the chickens screaming (yes screaming). The owner of the farm looked up and started yelling at the dog to get away. She started running and I just stood there looking lost for a minute, assuming that she had it under control. I realized that she can't run too quickly because she's been having some hip pain so I took off and sprinted ahead of her screaming at the dog. As soon as I got close the dog walked away and sat down in the shade. Stupid dog. Anyway I ran over to the chicken who was in a mad frenzy by this point. Her tail feathers were all over the yard and she had a nasty scratch that was bleeding. By this time the owner had run down there and we cornered the chicken and got her back in the fence. When I went down later she was rumpled looking but fine. The dog got sent to the house and reprimanded. He managed to look guilty and forlorn all afternoon. The field manager and the intern have both had to rescue the chickens already this season.

The other thing that made me laugh a lot was that this guy who has been doing some repair work around the farm walked past us in the field today and said "hooooooooorticulture", which totally made me think of Sue and the numerous words we would say oddly causing everyone to laugh. :)

Otherwise it was uneventful but productive. We transplated some onions, marigolds, johhny jump-ups, zinnias, and some other edible flower. Then we trimmed the tendrils off the pea plants. I guess the plants end up putting too much energy into producing the tendrils and not enough producing peas, so you have to trim them off. We also put up some fabric (basically looks like long white caterpillars in the fields) to shade the lettuce. I did a few minutes of weeding and then ended up helping sort/clean the area where they process the produce after it's harvested. I'm still loving my time at the farm. Last week I didn't haul myself over there and I missed it. I'll have to be more diligent about getting myself moving because whenever I get there I always realize that I love it. It's one of those weird motivation things for me I guess.

2 comments:

Josh Peters said...

yes, o, yes - so much better! thank you! i'm getting so old.

melissa said...

if you were using Firefox you could just press control and + , and it makes the font on any page bigger!
(that's what i do b/c i'm old too)