Wednesday, December 27, 2006

christmas lights

my roommates and i are pretty opinionated about christmas lights/decorating. my personal opinion is that white OR colored lights are fine, but they've got to be done correctly. some (alexis, LYNN) believe that any lights that are not white are in fact a crime. my own beautiful christmas tree does in fact have multi-colored lights and i think it is far from tacky, others beg to differ. the evil roommates and i find ourselves constantly rating the christmas decorations in our area. we go so far as to discuss why certain displays are good or bad. to help you understand i shall give you some pictures that i took over the past week:

















here we have a fine example of an "OOOOH NO".
1. mixing not only colors but also types of lights (icicle lights, regular lights, net lights, and swags or whatever they are called) (-3)
2. too many lights for too small of an area (-5)
3. it's christmas, lay off the patriotic lights already (-2)


















here we have a "getting warmer...."
1. note the red/green/white theme (+2)
2. and then note santa's sleigh and the reindeer (i really hate those so -3)
3. a little shabby with the application of the net lighting (i feel that they need to not appear to BE a net in order to work, lisa says she appreciates the evenly spaced lighting and likes them)

and now i give you "WOWZA"
































simple, not overstated, dramtic, and a-mazing. these star-ish objects appear to be floating above their yard and i haven't figured out how they got them suspended and lit. i loooooooove them. (+1000)

that's all for now, i shall end my light snobbery.
p.s. the scale used for rating lights is completely arbitrary

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I love the floating stars. My neighbor and good friend has a completely pink tree and I must say I'm okay with it. I've been refining my own snobbery some and I think I can tolerate colored lights as long as they're all one color and definitely NOT blinking. I keep meaning to post a picture of our (other)neighbor's front-yard lights. . .

Miss Book said...

I'm awarding super bonus points to the neighbors the next street over who I pass on the way to school. They managed to successfully use the icicle lights, the swag lights AND the net lights in concert with one another. of course, they are all white, which helps ;)