Saturday, May 15, 2010

Goodbye Pentax. RIP.

Our camera is no more! Sadly it chose to begin it's deathbed illness on the day of my birthday party. When I went to upload the pictures all were lost. I ran downstairs and somehow managed to take these pictures:




While Jared took me out to lunch for sushi some awesome friends snuck into our house and set up a garden birthday party! I had made the rainbow cake thinking that they would come over for cake and just hang out but I had no idea that they were actually setting up tea and cookies and decorating before I got home! I was of course mortified that I hadn't managed to get the clean cover back onto the ripped up couch. (The cat used to shred the corners of it before we finally covered it up). It's so silly that I get all worked up about having a spotless house when all of the people coming over have seen it in far worse states. The party was awesome, ugly couch and rain, or not. They had intended for it to be outside but it rained for literally eight hours the night before and everything was soaked in the backyard. Inside was just as great because each guest brought me a flower to plant out in my garden and they hung tiny butterflies from everything. When I get a working camera I'll take some updated pictures of my garden. I had taken some before all of the flowers were added.

The cake in case you are wondering I used a white cake recipe from The Joy of Cooking. I had to double it in order to get all of the color layers. I used natural food dye and I made cream cheese frosting. I've been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and trying to think a bit more about what I'm eating. I feel very strongly that processed foods are not as good for me as whole natural foods and I'm trying to cut out as many processed foods as possible. And then there are the days when it's time for dinner and I haven't even made a grocery list let alone started cooking and suddenly it's 8pm and we find ourselves eating Burger King. Every now and then isn't so bad right? I told Jared that I'm on the edge of a Food Revolution but that it hasn't taken root yet. I'm working on it though. Hey I also did Pilates two days in a row! Living healthier has it's ups and downs but I'll get there eventually. In the meantime I need to go buy a new iron. Seems irons can grow black mold which you don't find out until you decide to use the steam feature for the first time in forever and you are ironing cream colored fabric for a custom order.

3 comments:

Miss Book said...

Your dying camera still took a kickass picture of that cake! It looks like a pic I'd see on one of the natural food/cooking blogs I read! :)

melissa said...

thanks lex! i was taking the word of a certain someone that the camera was dead. this morning i did some investigative work and discovered that i think it's actually the computer that is not cooperating, not the camera. all may not be lost.

Frances Joy said...

Yay for custom orders! Boo for moldy irons!

Also, I can't wait to see you relatively soon!