Tuesday, March 03, 2009

welcome march

The preschool at my church is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday this week and has asked members of the congregation to volunteer to spend a few minutes reading to the kids sometime during the week. I rode my shiny pink bike (now with basket!) across town this morning to the school. Of course I again choose a cold day to ride the bike but it gave me an excuse to wear my pink winter jacket. I read a book by Eric Carle to a four-year old class and then to a three-year-old class. The four year olds were nonplussed by the whole thing but the three-year-olds were enjoying themselves. They asked me to read the book twice and so I did since the teacher was all like sure sure! it's snack time why not? And so I read and the kids ate their snacks. When I got up to leave one of the kids asked, "why are you so big?" The teacher told him, "Because she's your mom's age. She is an adult, not a student." The kid then replied, "yea, she's a hundred". I texted this to the hubby and he replied, "lolz, looking pretty good for a hundred!"

I was hoping to post some pictures but I have bad news: my computer seems to be dying. This is NOT GOOD because we haven't yet backed up three and a half years worth of pictures. So today I'm using Jared's wonky computer (complete with Linux) and praying that my little dell can hold on until he gets home from work. He zipped all of the pictures (compressed them?) and is going to somehow magically get them to his computer where they can be burned onto cd's. I hope this works. OH MAN I just realized I never backed up my itunes either! That is going to suck if I lose all of my music. Crappy. He and I talked about backing up our info a few months ago and neither of us did anything about it and now I'm kicking myself. I'm sure super computer Jared can save the day, at least I hope so.

So we moved to another house. We are significantly closer to everywhere that we need to be. It's pretty great. There were some crazy weeks of travel with moving right at the center of it all but things seem to be settling down now. I'm organizing my little heart out and also purging all unneeded possessions. If we don't need it then it is going out the door! There is no reason to keep things that we have no use for that could be benefiting someone else. Also I just don't want so much STUFF.

I sliced my fingers on a knife while loading the dishwasher last night and this is making for some fun typing. Actually it's pretty much impeding my abilities all around. Oh well. Jared calmly got the first aid kit while I stood dripping blood into the sink and then wrapped my fingers in gauze. It's a good thing he can handle blood and injuries. Ok I have to tell you a story. Some of you have heard this but it's worth repeating because it's hilarious and also tragically so like me. On our honeymoon we were brushing our teeth in the bathroom. Now the floor is tile and the walls were wood, similar to a log cabin but not round. I'm talking about solid wood here. Well I don't know what happened but my foot slide out from under me and I started to fall backwards. Jared caught me but not quite soon enough. He managed to stop me from knocking myself out but I still cracked my head on the solid wood wall pretty hard. I stayed motionless on the floor and said to him "I need you to get me ice". He ran downstairs and got some and came sprinting back into the bathroom to put it on my head. I continued to lie there and assess my wound. I had hit my head hard enough to make me feel a bit woozy but had not broken the skin. I knew I didn't need stitches but I wasn't sure if I needed the ER or not. So I asked Jared if he knew the signs of a head injury/concussion. He didn't (which is bizarre to me since I know them like the back of my bleeding head...er..hand) so I began reciting them to him. "Ok I think I'm going to be ok but if any of these things happen I'm going to need you to find a hospital and tell them that I hit my head: I barf, I stop making sense, I can't stay awake, I pass out, or my eyes look funny, I'm going to lie here for a few more minutes until I stop feeling so dizzy, then I need you to help me up and make sure I don't tip over." I recovered just fine but had a pounding headache for the remainder of the day. Jared did his best to make sure I didn't die. I broke him in early to my accident prone antics!

No comments: