Yesterday was my first day volunteering on an urban farm! It was fantastic! (so fantastic that i had to use two !! i was a little high on life when i came home yesterday) I was able to meet the two summer interns and work with them on a bunch of projects. I got there at 9:30 and they immediately had me water all of the plants in the greenhouse with the one intern, then we went to the fields and started transplanting kohlrabi and raddiccio. We got quite a bit of transplanting done and then moved on to tearing up one of those big cloth things that is put down to stop weed growth and then began weeding out that bed. It was 1:00 before I even realized that I was hungry or ready for a break. The owner of the farm made us lunch and we sat out on her deck to eat. I had no idea I was getting lunch out of the deal, apparently they have lunch every day for the interns/volunteers. Sweet! After lunch one of the interns and I planted seeds. I learned more yesterday than I did the entire summer at the farm in Atlanta. My supervisor there simply did not have time to teach, she just handed out weeding or mulching assignments. Here they gave a running tutorial on farming all day long. Here's how we do this, someone demonstrates while explaing why, they had the tool to you to try. The owner's philosphy is: watch, do, teach meaning that next time I go there she will ask me to explain things to someone else. I don't remember everything but I know that garlic bulbs in the garden keep deer away! I'm excited to finally have a place to learn all of this stuff. I have these lovely thoughts in my head that I am going to be an urban farmer but a lot of that is only in theory. I will be going back to the farm at least one day a week if not two (or three) for the rest of the summer. And hey, yesterday they paid me with lunch and a dozen fresh eggs from their chickens.
grumpy early morning memos while i wait for the shower:
4/26
add on craigslist: papasan chair $20
i e-mail: yes i want it! here's my phone number
4/27
woman e-mails: here's my address
woman calls: here's my address
i call: yes i want the chair, i'm working on transportation b/c i don't own a car, if you get another buyer go ahead and sell it
i write: ditto above
4/28
woman e-mails: if you live close to me i could deliver it if you would chip in on gas
i e-mail: yes that would be great. i could give you $25 to include the cost of gas. i live in _______ neighborhood. mapquest says it's about 5 miles away from you. these are the times i would be around all day X day, until this time on X day, etc.
4/29
i e-mail again having heard nothing from the woman: ok this is my address. i appreciate your willingness to deliver it. these are the times that would be good for me ________. sorry there has been so much run around with this, i really do want to buy your chair. thanks. etc.
5/1: woman e-mails: I am sorry about the time delay, we were away. My husband does not have time to deliver it. So...back to you finding a way. I had another person interested, if you change you mind, please let me know asap.
5/2
i e-mail: fine. will you be home wednesday night or friday night? i can come get it then.
DEAR LADY SELLING THE PAPASAN CHAIR:
If I had a reliable way of contacting you other than your e-mail which it takes you at least a day to reply to or your house phone which you do not in fact answer or return calls from, then perhaps I could buy the chair from you! I think you need an introduction to how craigslist works! I cannot come and get a chair if all you give me is your address. I'm not going to borrow a car/get a ride if you don't tell me that you will be home! Argh. And now you're selling to someone else simply because you can't get your act together? I'm regretting giving you my contact information. I'll give this one more shot but honestly lady, next time you do craigslist perhaps you should think about giving another phone number or being easier to reach. I realize that part of this is that I do not in fact own a car, but I feel that I was up front about my uncertainty about getting there early on. Learn to communicate.
Love, Me
1 comment:
"high on life" - suuuuuuure. it was an "urban farm", wasn't it?
Post a Comment