Does Sunlight Signal Sneezes?
'A sneeze provoked by sudden exposre to intense light is knowns as the photic sneeze reflex- or ACHOO (for Autosomal-dominant Compelling Helio-Opthalmic Outburst). It occurs in about a quarter of the population. The reflex is probaby the reust of a malfunction in the fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve. Scientists belive that in some people, the trigimenial nerve is linked to the optic nerve, which transmits visual impulses to the brain. So when someone with ACHOO syndrome sees bright light, the optic nerve is overstimulated triggering the trigeminal nerve. Ergo: achoo!'
-this is courtesy of The National Science Teachers Association NSTA REPORTS January 2007
what can i say? i live with mrs. wizard.
and to think all this time we thought my dad was allergic to US. he sneezes 3 times in a row whenever we are driving into the sunlight. congrats dad, you're part of the 25% of the population with ACHOO syndrome.
I went to Phipps Conservatory again today with Emily, Mae, and Wes. We went to 'Old McDonald's' for lunch (Mae's choice) and while we were there she was asking about getting a sundae. Emily told her no, we would get an ice cream treat at Phipps. Mae said "yea, cause Sundays are for church". That kid is brilliant sometimes. I told her she was a piece of work on the way home today. She told me I was a piece of wood. I tried to explain to her that I had said work not wood. Her reply was "I know that. I meant wood though". Alright then. Wes was walking! I took a video of him. He's been taking about 4-5 steps for a few days, but today he went probably closer to 20 steps and was trying his best to keep going. It's so exciting!
We also saw a former fellow gator there. She works at Phipps and was very encouraging. She gave me some job hunting tips. It was extremely encouraging to find someone else with an environmental education degree from Allegheny, especially since she seems to be using hers. Wish me luck, I'm putting out a bunch of resumes this week.
7 comments:
oh! i have photo sneeze thing too. as does my older brother. you think it's genetic?
...and i've found that if you look long and hard enough, you'll see gators everywhere.
you are such a dork! thats why i love you though!
MRS. wizard?!?!?!?
who posted anonymously???
lex would you rather be MR. wizard??
it's just that you imply that i am married to harry potter or something...
;)
your secret admirer posted anonymously, you hottie!
tell me who you are
please?
Post a Comment